Technology, you're moving too fast!!!!!
I really had planned to post some of my Christmas pictures today but I accidentally got Emmaleigh interested in playing Sims and I have to sit right next to her. This causes multiple problems: I don't have access to my computer; I don't have time to do other things. But, on the other hand, since she has been quite interested in playing Sims when she is here, I have been able to use it as a reward and she is careful not to misbehave or complain! I think John Rosemond, the nationally-syndicated columnist on parenting, would refer to this as "finding her currency" Anyway, I don't really mind. I keep telling myself to enjoy every moment I have with her because it will pass so quickly.
Case in point: Ashlyn Elizabeth is turning 13 years old on Sunday!!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Fortunately, my "magic" granddaughter, the one that turned me into a grandmother just like magic in the moment she was born, is still a frequent visitor, phone caller, texter and emailer with Grandma...but I know the days are coming when she will have other interests....better things to do.....!
Speaking of the texting and emailing....technology is just moving too fast. I'm sorry, technology, but I wish you would slow down. I have to sleep. I have to eat. Heck, I have to COOK what I eat...and SHOP for it too. I have to make my bed, vacuum my house, clean the toilet....I can't just sit around a get to know you!!!
For instance: I got Ron an iPad for Christmas. At Jake's urging, I got him the one that can get on the internet even if we are not around wi-fi. What is that called? 3G? I don't know! Anyway....Ron doesn't even know how to turn on the computer. His cell-phone is an old Go phone from Walmart that I bought about 6 years ago when one of my cell phone's broke and I wasn't quite ready for an upgrade. It is a very limited phone. Let's just say it is a dumb phone, because it sure isn't a SMART phone! Anyway...I do think that this iPad will be one of the best gifts for Ron that I have ever bought myself!!! (Do not fear, I bought him a gorgeous LSU jacket....and let him pick it out....so I know he will be happy! I am even hoping that he will actually learn to like Facebook with some of his old school friends.)
But....in the course of setting this iPad up, Jake informed me that we needed to figure out how to set it up on my laptop so that when we sync the iPad, it doesnt' accidentally sync it with my iPhone as well. "How could that happen?" I asked. Well, apparently I should have been syncing my iPhone with my laptop ever since I got it 18 months ago. So...Jake set everything up on my laptop. But since it is MY laptop, MY cellphone, andMY Ron's iPad, I decided I needed to learn. I actually downloaded the manual for the iPad and the iPhone and now I am trying to find time to read them. I saw stuff on there about iClouds too. What is next????
It gets worse.....Ron bought me a Nook for Christmas LAST year. I really like it. But I am cheap so I have forced myself to learn how to borrow books (over the internet) from my local library and read them on my Nook. I don't know how to SHARE these books, and don't ask me if I organize my bookshelves...it's a miracle that I have figured out how to 'sync' my Nook to my laptop and drag that book icon to that Nook icon and then 'eject' the Nook in order to not be 'tethered'. (Do I sound smart?) I don't know how to share the books I OWN. I don't know how to do much but I am trying to learn. I think I have the manual for THAT on a CD someplace. I got a really great deal on a Nook this Christmas and bought one for Christie because she loves to read, too. Now I guess I AM going to have to learn how to share books. She bought me a Barnes and Noble gift card so that I can BUY books for my Nook. I gotta learn to do that too!
What caused me to be sharing this "technology" blog post with you actually has something to do with my blog. I really enjoy blogging, although it takes time and (yikes) you have to figure out how to format, and how to upload your photos from your camera or your iPhone to put in your blog. I'm doing my best at that. The thing I love the most about blogging is actually reading OTHER people's blogs. But lately I have been noticing something called Pinterest.
Pinterest, best I can figure, is a personal bulletin board of things you are interested in. When you SEE something you are interested in, you PIN it to your bulletin board. Everyone who is ANYONE is using it, right? So....hey, I have interests! I go to www.pinterest and find out that I need to be approved or something. Whatever the reason, you wait until they invite you after you have applied. Found out on a blog that the QUICK way to join pinterest is to be invited by a friend who is already ON Pinterest. Hey...I see my niece is on!!! So, I send her a quick text and ask her to "invite me" the next time she is on her computer. She does, I join....voila! I have a Pinterest board!!!! I am so excited!!!
Know what??? A week later I have already got notices that 3 or 4 people are following my Pinterest. Know what is on it??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! "What's the problem?" you ask? Well.... first, I have no spare time. Next, I have to figure out how to do this! I hear there is a manual.........
Seeya later!
Case in point: Ashlyn Elizabeth is turning 13 years old on Sunday!!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Fortunately, my "magic" granddaughter, the one that turned me into a grandmother just like magic in the moment she was born, is still a frequent visitor, phone caller, texter and emailer with Grandma...but I know the days are coming when she will have other interests....better things to do.....!
Speaking of the texting and emailing....technology is just moving too fast. I'm sorry, technology, but I wish you would slow down. I have to sleep. I have to eat. Heck, I have to COOK what I eat...and SHOP for it too. I have to make my bed, vacuum my house, clean the toilet....I can't just sit around a get to know you!!!
For instance: I got Ron an iPad for Christmas. At Jake's urging, I got him the one that can get on the internet even if we are not around wi-fi. What is that called? 3G? I don't know! Anyway....Ron doesn't even know how to turn on the computer. His cell-phone is an old Go phone from Walmart that I bought about 6 years ago when one of my cell phone's broke and I wasn't quite ready for an upgrade. It is a very limited phone. Let's just say it is a dumb phone, because it sure isn't a SMART phone! Anyway...I do think that this iPad will be one of the best gifts for Ron that I have ever bought myself!!! (Do not fear, I bought him a gorgeous LSU jacket....and let him pick it out....so I know he will be happy! I am even hoping that he will actually learn to like Facebook with some of his old school friends.)
But....in the course of setting this iPad up, Jake informed me that we needed to figure out how to set it up on my laptop so that when we sync the iPad, it doesnt' accidentally sync it with my iPhone as well. "How could that happen?" I asked. Well, apparently I should have been syncing my iPhone with my laptop ever since I got it 18 months ago. So...Jake set everything up on my laptop. But since it is MY laptop, MY cellphone, and
It gets worse.....Ron bought me a Nook for Christmas LAST year. I really like it. But I am cheap so I have forced myself to learn how to borrow books (over the internet) from my local library and read them on my Nook. I don't know how to SHARE these books, and don't ask me if I organize my bookshelves...it's a miracle that I have figured out how to 'sync' my Nook to my laptop and drag that book icon to that Nook icon and then 'eject' the Nook in order to not be 'tethered'. (Do I sound smart?) I don't know how to share the books I OWN. I don't know how to do much but I am trying to learn. I think I have the manual for THAT on a CD someplace. I got a really great deal on a Nook this Christmas and bought one for Christie because she loves to read, too. Now I guess I AM going to have to learn how to share books. She bought me a Barnes and Noble gift card so that I can BUY books for my Nook. I gotta learn to do that too!
What caused me to be sharing this "technology" blog post with you actually has something to do with my blog. I really enjoy blogging, although it takes time and (yikes) you have to figure out how to format, and how to upload your photos from your camera or your iPhone to put in your blog. I'm doing my best at that. The thing I love the most about blogging is actually reading OTHER people's blogs. But lately I have been noticing something called Pinterest.
Pinterest, best I can figure, is a personal bulletin board of things you are interested in. When you SEE something you are interested in, you PIN it to your bulletin board. Everyone who is ANYONE is using it, right? So....hey, I have interests! I go to www.pinterest and find out that I need to be approved or something. Whatever the reason, you wait until they invite you after you have applied. Found out on a blog that the QUICK way to join pinterest is to be invited by a friend who is already ON Pinterest. Hey...I see my niece is on!!! So, I send her a quick text and ask her to "invite me" the next time she is on her computer. She does, I join....voila! I have a Pinterest board!!!! I am so excited!!!
Know what??? A week later I have already got notices that 3 or 4 people are following my Pinterest. Know what is on it??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! "What's the problem?" you ask? Well.... first, I have no spare time. Next, I have to figure out how to do this! I hear there is a manual.........
Seeya later!
Comments