No Christmas Cards?
Every year since 2000, I have done a Christmas Card Novel! I have summarized the year, picked multiple pictures to illustrate the piece and then formatted. It has taken a lot of time to compose, illustrate, print and address every year, not to mention the cost of paper, printer ink, and postage! But, by far, the most time-consuming part of the job is the formatting. To landscape the thing, and plan it with the pictures so that it is printed with pages inserted yet still reading in order....well....it has been a challenge. I also have taken my granddaughters somewhere for Christmas portraits over the years....but they are losing interest in this as well. So....in the middle of November of 2011, when I would normally be mulling over step 1 (the photo for the "cover"), I just decided I was done! My run lasted 10 years!
If you are reading this blog post, this will be everything (and more) that I would put in my card anyway. If you aren't reading this blog post....well, you get the idea! Actually, MOST of the people I was sending the card to are on the internet anyway. So....here goes:
I began the year in Surprise, Arizona, where I was visiting Mom at her winter home. Mom and Dad have wintered in AZ for probably 25 years and this was Mom's first winter, Christmas, New Year, and Wedding Anniversary without my Dad. I flew out and stayed about 2 weeks and was with her for those 3 special occasions. (Sadly, in the summer of 2011 my laptop died taking 6 months worth of UNBACKED UP photos with it. The only pictures I have from that time were either on my phone, or already posted on this blog at an earlier date.)

Duane's wife, Geri Ann, made a visit to Mom in Arizona in November of 2010. Joanne and Larry spent some time with her in February of this year and by April she was headed back to Louisiana and then on home to northern Michigan. She managed very well and we were (are) very proud of her. Of course all of her family agrees that she is far better off spending winters in Arizona than in northern Michigan for obvious weather-related reasons!
Anyway, I enjoyed my time in Arizona. It was hard without Dad there as the only other times I visited there, he was of course there. EVERYONE in the park that I met spoke of how much they liked and missed him. But Mom and I did have a good time together. We spent time with Aunt Maxine and Uncle Jerry...enjoying a meal and a rousing game of Chickenfoot with the dominoes. It's hard to believe that now my happy, fun-loving Uncle Jerry is gone too. I loved him and will miss him as well.
While I was in Arizona, Ron did some hunting. Our oldest granddaughter, Ashlyn, turned 12!
At the end of February, we loaded up the camper and took Jake's family to Disney World! Emmie had never been there, but neither had Christie! We stayed in Fort Wilderness and we spent a week at the resort! Of course most of our activity was geared toward an 'almost five-year-old' princess! I would have liked to have some more adult experiences for Christie's sake, although one day she and I visited the World Showcase in Epcot while the guys entertained Emmie.
Shortly after arriving home, Ron and I REloaded the camper and headed to Natchez, where we like to spend time every spring. We took the boat, as usual, and I even got to do a little fishing with Ron.
We left the camper there for a couple weeks and I would stay a few days and come home a few days to bowl and other obligations. I celebrated my birthday there after coming back to Baton Rouge to meet Mom's plane!
She spent a couple pleasant days with us at the campground in Natchez before we brought it home. We got back in time to attend Emmie's birthday party!
She and I did drive over to Pensacola to visit with Aunt Ada at her home. Mom and she were childhood friends....even before Mom met my dad! We only stayed a couple of nights....Mom's time with us was limited. Before you knew it, she was headed on to Michigan.
When the kids got out of school, Samantha decided she wanted to play summer league ball so we went to several of her games while we were still home. Immediately upon school being out, Heather and George and the girls took a family vacation to the Rocky Mountains. Only Heather had ever been there before!
Then, Ron and I headed north at the end of June. It was difficult to not have my dad's hug when we walked in the door.
As usual, we spent as much time visiting with family as we could. The get-together with several girls who had attended Sunday School together in childhood was a special treat.


Our Beeman Family Reunion, which has been going on since 1946 or 47 without interruption was another success.
Favorite memories of summer in TC include garage sales, big fish,
garage sales, card games on the beach after dark,
and a big snapping turtle. (Look out Turtleman, you got nothin' on my nephew!) (Oh...and did I mention GARAGE SALES???) Dad's best friend, Leon, spent a good bit of time with Ron....and we did hear him play and sing at the Sr. Day lunch in Honor! We stayed only about 3 weeks before coming back to Louisiana to attend the wedding of our niece, Erin. What a happy occasion and a fun time!
Jake had planned to go north again....he has begun to look forward to a trip north every summer almost as much as I do! However, he did not get to make the trip this time as he started a new job in mid-June. He began working for the railroad in the radio department. The downside is that the job works out of New Orleans which meant either a move, or a commute. He decided against either and after not quite 6 months realized that they weren't coming through with some of the things they had offered so he returned to his job with the state.
In August, Ron and I took all three girls to Branson, Missouri, to see "Noah, The Musical". It was WONDERFUL, but it was hot, hot, HOT while we were in Branson. As soon as the sun would get far enough to the west to have the pool shaded by the hotel, we were in the water and stayed until after dark! Emmie still says that was her favorite part of the trip!
When we returned, it was nearly time for school to begin. Both Samantha and Ashlyn are attending middle school and Emmaleigh is in kindergarten. Heather returned to her job at Zachary Elementary School...which is a block from her home! Sam tried out for the Northwestern Middle Softball Team and made the team. (We watched her as the team played their season all the way to win the District Championship in October!)
In September, Ron and I went with several friends from The Big R Club (his fellow railroad retirees) on an Alaskan cruise! We flew to Seattle and cruised to Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and then back to Victoria. When we returned to Seattle most of the group headed home to Louisiana, but Ron and I and one other couple remained 2 days in the area taking a wonderful tour to Mount Ranier! We had a WONDERFUL time with our friends. Sadly, I saw no whales and no bald eagles or bears! I guess we will just have to go BACK!
When we returned from that trip, Samantha was turning 11 years old! She had her camping out sleepover at our house with a cousin, her sister, and a good friend.
In October, we drove BACK to Michigan and enjoyed a couple weeks of the most beautiful weather and awesome color!
My brother, Duane, made it up for a weekend. After a couple of weeks there, we closed up Mom's house and brought her south with us for a visit with our family before she traveled on to Arizona. Sadly, the day before we were to leave Michigan, my Uncle Jerry Olson passed away. He tried hard to overcome his illness and took as much chemo as he could tolerate. We weren't ready to lose him and will truly miss him.
November came and went in the blink of an eye. Ron and Jake have spent a few weekends at the hunting camp with Ron's brothers and some other friends/relatives. I drove back over to Pensacola to visit Aunt Ada in her new living situation.
George is doing well. Christie just got a promotion at her job. All three granddaughters are doing very well in school. Ron and I volunteered to take officer positions in the retirement club for next year and we are planning to do a little more work in our house in 2012 so have no major trips planned at this time other than a couple of trips to Michigan. We will be traveling up in April to attend the wedding of our nephew, Tim and are looking forward to that.
Ron and I are both experiencing good health, however are feeling our share of aches and pains. I guess that is a sign that we are working too hard! But...neither of us really want to slow down so guess we will just invest in a larger bottle of Advil and move on.
Now another year is drawing to a close. In many ways it has been a difficult year. We have lost close friends and family members and we have several close friends and relatives who are have serious health issues. But on the other hand, it has been a year of blessings. Our 2 children and their families live close by and we get to spend a lot of time with them an especially those precious granddaughters, the oldest of whom will become a teenager in a few days. We have traveled, and have formed some new and/or closer friendships. What a gift God has given us in Fellowship with others.
May your Christmas be a blessed time with with an opportunity to be with the family and friends you love the most. And during your Christmas, may you spend time with the Heavenly Father who loves YOU, and may you be Blessed.
If you are reading this blog post, this will be everything (and more) that I would put in my card anyway. If you aren't reading this blog post....well, you get the idea! Actually, MOST of the people I was sending the card to are on the internet anyway. So....here goes:
Merry Christmas in 2011!
I began the year in Surprise, Arizona, where I was visiting Mom at her winter home. Mom and Dad have wintered in AZ for probably 25 years and this was Mom's first winter, Christmas, New Year, and Wedding Anniversary without my Dad. I flew out and stayed about 2 weeks and was with her for those 3 special occasions. (Sadly, in the summer of 2011 my laptop died taking 6 months worth of UNBACKED UP photos with it. The only pictures I have from that time were either on my phone, or already posted on this blog at an earlier date.)

Duane's wife, Geri Ann, made a visit to Mom in Arizona in November of 2010. Joanne and Larry spent some time with her in February of this year and by April she was headed back to Louisiana and then on home to northern Michigan. She managed very well and we were (are) very proud of her. Of course all of her family agrees that she is far better off spending winters in Arizona than in northern Michigan for obvious weather-related reasons!
Anyway, I enjoyed my time in Arizona. It was hard without Dad there as the only other times I visited there, he was of course there. EVERYONE in the park that I met spoke of how much they liked and missed him. But Mom and I did have a good time together. We spent time with Aunt Maxine and Uncle Jerry...enjoying a meal and a rousing game of Chickenfoot with the dominoes. It's hard to believe that now my happy, fun-loving Uncle Jerry is gone too. I loved him and will miss him as well.
While I was in Arizona, Ron did some hunting. Our oldest granddaughter, Ashlyn, turned 12!
At the end of February, we loaded up the camper and took Jake's family to Disney World! Emmie had never been there, but neither had Christie! We stayed in Fort Wilderness and we spent a week at the resort! Of course most of our activity was geared toward an 'almost five-year-old' princess! I would have liked to have some more adult experiences for Christie's sake, although one day she and I visited the World Showcase in Epcot while the guys entertained Emmie.
Shortly after arriving home, Ron and I REloaded the camper and headed to Natchez, where we like to spend time every spring. We took the boat, as usual, and I even got to do a little fishing with Ron.
She spent a couple pleasant days with us at the campground in Natchez before we brought it home. We got back in time to attend Emmie's birthday party!
She and I did drive over to Pensacola to visit with Aunt Ada at her home. Mom and she were childhood friends....even before Mom met my dad! We only stayed a couple of nights....Mom's time with us was limited. Before you knew it, she was headed on to Michigan.
When the kids got out of school, Samantha decided she wanted to play summer league ball so we went to several of her games while we were still home. Immediately upon school being out, Heather and George and the girls took a family vacation to the Rocky Mountains. Only Heather had ever been there before!
As usual, we spent as much time visiting with family as we could. The get-together with several girls who had attended Sunday School together in childhood was a special treat.
Our Beeman Family Reunion, which has been going on since 1946 or 47 without interruption was another success.
My Uncle Jerry was determined to make it...and he did!
Favorite memories of summer in TC include garage sales, big fish,
boat rides on Silver Lake, garage sales,
bonfires,
garage sales, card games on the beach after dark,
Jake had planned to go north again....he has begun to look forward to a trip north every summer almost as much as I do! However, he did not get to make the trip this time as he started a new job in mid-June. He began working for the railroad in the radio department. The downside is that the job works out of New Orleans which meant either a move, or a commute. He decided against either and after not quite 6 months realized that they weren't coming through with some of the things they had offered so he returned to his job with the state.
When we returned, it was nearly time for school to begin. Both Samantha and Ashlyn are attending middle school and Emmaleigh is in kindergarten. Heather returned to her job at Zachary Elementary School...which is a block from her home! Sam tried out for the Northwestern Middle Softball Team and made the team. (We watched her as the team played their season all the way to win the District Championship in October!)
In September, Ron and I went with several friends from The Big R Club (his fellow railroad retirees) on an Alaskan cruise! We flew to Seattle and cruised to Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and then back to Victoria. When we returned to Seattle most of the group headed home to Louisiana, but Ron and I and one other couple remained 2 days in the area taking a wonderful tour to Mount Ranier! We had a WONDERFUL time with our friends. Sadly, I saw no whales and no bald eagles or bears! I guess we will just have to go BACK!
When we returned from that trip, Samantha was turning 11 years old! She had her camping out sleepover at our house with a cousin, her sister, and a good friend.
In October, we drove BACK to Michigan and enjoyed a couple weeks of the most beautiful weather and awesome color!
My brother, Duane, made it up for a weekend. After a couple of weeks there, we closed up Mom's house and brought her south with us for a visit with our family before she traveled on to Arizona. Sadly, the day before we were to leave Michigan, my Uncle Jerry Olson passed away. He tried hard to overcome his illness and took as much chemo as he could tolerate. We weren't ready to lose him and will truly miss him.
November came and went in the blink of an eye. Ron and Jake have spent a few weekends at the hunting camp with Ron's brothers and some other friends/relatives. I drove back over to Pensacola to visit Aunt Ada in her new living situation.
George is doing well. Christie just got a promotion at her job. All three granddaughters are doing very well in school. Ron and I volunteered to take officer positions in the retirement club for next year and we are planning to do a little more work in our house in 2012 so have no major trips planned at this time other than a couple of trips to Michigan. We will be traveling up in April to attend the wedding of our nephew, Tim and are looking forward to that.
Ron and I are both experiencing good health, however are feeling our share of aches and pains. I guess that is a sign that we are working too hard! But...neither of us really want to slow down so guess we will just invest in a larger bottle of Advil and move on.
Now another year is drawing to a close. In many ways it has been a difficult year. We have lost close friends and family members and we have several close friends and relatives who are have serious health issues. But on the other hand, it has been a year of blessings. Our 2 children and their families live close by and we get to spend a lot of time with them an especially those precious granddaughters, the oldest of whom will become a teenager in a few days. We have traveled, and have formed some new and/or closer friendships. What a gift God has given us in Fellowship with others.
May your Christmas be a blessed time with with an opportunity to be with the family and friends you love the most. And during your Christmas, may you spend time with the Heavenly Father who loves YOU, and may you be Blessed.



Comments