Everybody works!

When you are in the midst of home improvement, EVERYBODY lends a hand! 2 year old Emmie is pretty handy with the sandpaper!
Today is Thursday and we continue to make progress! Yesterday we completed the installation of the sheet rock/dry wall and I immediately started "floating". Now for those of you that might be unfamiliar with this term, this does not mean that I am now on Cloud Nine!! I got out my 5 gallon bucket of "mud" and started slathering it onto the seams. Today I sanded some of it smooth and spread and feathered on a very thin final layer. I will sand tomorrow and perhaps be priming by tomorrow evening!
Incidentally, if you have never sanded sheet rock/dry wall, well.....you just don't really know the meaning of the word "dust"!
A couple of days ago, Ron complained that a spot on his "gums" was puffy. He had no "throbbing" or other pain so I encouraged him to rinse frequently with salt water or antiseptic mouth wash and make sure to floss. On Wednesday I offerred to call the dentist but he declined saying he thought it was getting better, but this morning early he showed me a large "blister" looking spot and I called the dentist as soon as they opened. They saw him within 2 hours and it turns out that he had developed a pretty mean abscess. He is taking antibiotics and is lined up for a "re-check" early next week. The abscess is at the base of a tooth with a root canal, therefore no nerve and no pain! He is lucky it was not hurting badly, but if pain is a warning of a problem, then we are lucky he noticed at all!
I spent some time last weekend cleaning the loft of our storage room. I pulled a lot of junk down and straightened shelves in preparation for the boxes of Christmas decorations. In the process of doing this, I stumbled across some of Jake's old Matchbox cars....which I sent home with him. I also found a box of dolls and doll clothes. Several Barbie Dolls were included and looked to be in pretty good shape. (Many of Heather's old Barbie Dolls sufferred seriously at the hands of her younger brother in the past) I salvaged the best of the bunch and even washed and conditioned their hair. But their rubber legs had grown mildew spots in the humidity of our deep south summers. After standing waist-deep in a cup full of bleach water, they enjoyed a bubble bath and a visit!!!


So my life is not ALL about home improvement!!! Ha!
A couple of weeks ago I took the last of the apples sent for Christmas by my brother's family and made a batch of Apple Dumplins! Yummy. Both our kids and their families came over and enjoyed the treat!


I promised you in an earlier post that I would share pictures of our bowling excursion but they really were nothing special. The bowling alley had music playing and strobe lights flashing as we were there during the common time for kids' birthday parties. The darkened lanes and flashing lights didn't do much for our photos!
I know many of you are experiencing some extremely cold weather. Even we are getting down into the high 20's tonight! Sounds like a good opportunity for a blanket, a cuddle and some hot chocolate. Since we don't have a fireplace, we'll enjoy this in front of the TV! My can of Hershey's Cocoa has a recipe for "Perfectly Chocolate" hot cocoa made in the microwave. Here is the recipe for a single serving:
2 Tbs sugar
2-3 tsp Hershey's Cocoa
dash salt
1 Cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in large mug. Heat milk in microwave at 100% for 1 1/2 minute or until hot. (duh!) Gradually add milk to cocoa mixtrue; stir well. Stir in vanilla.

picture by Tricia Jaeger
Don't forget the marshmallows!!!
Comments
Ethel
Anna