January 1, 2008
Well, here we are! Happy New Year! And happy birthday to our first grandchild, Ashlyn, who turns 9 today!
Our trip out was uneventful. It has been a long time since Ron and I have driven across Texas....and it is a LONG LONG way! We spent our first evening in New Braunfels north of San Antonio in Texas Hill Country. From there we traveled through miles of miles of "not much" to Fort Stockton, TX. On day 3, sunny skies escorted us through New Mexico and into Arizona, where we spent that night in Benson. After a leisurely breakfast at a nearby Denny’s, we headed west through Tuscon and then on up to and through the sprawling city of Phoenix. We were checking in at the office of the Sunflower RV Resort at high noon on New Year’s Eve!
I am not the best rider....I will admit to being nervous. Dad was Ron’s co-pilot and Ron appreciated the fact that I rode in the back seat with Mom and crocheted or read most of the trip. That worked so well, that Ron suggested I might try riding in the back seat on other trips....even if it IS just the two of us!
We got our rig parked and got somewhat familiar with the facilities here. We perused the newsletter learning that there are many and varied hobby rooms, clubs and activities here as well as plenty of opportunity for physical activity ranging from exercise classes and weight rooms, to tennis courts, hiking or biking groups, swimming, and many other activities.
There are approximately 1135 spaces in this park, most with two persons in each. They told us at the office that they expect the park to be at full capacity before the end of January! So we expect to mingle with quite a few new faces! Hopefully we will even make some new friends.
I had hoped to add to my blog along the way, but wonder of wonders, I FORGOT my wireless card! Most of the campgrounds we visited had wi-fi, and there I was....holding nothing but a laptop and a phone cord. Poor me. After a anguished phone call home, my son ran to our house and got it for me...it is coming express mail and I will be posting more regularly very soon.
Until then...thanks for the emails and for the comments on my blog!
Our trip out was uneventful. It has been a long time since Ron and I have driven across Texas....and it is a LONG LONG way! We spent our first evening in New Braunfels north of San Antonio in Texas Hill Country. From there we traveled through miles of miles of "not much" to Fort Stockton, TX. On day 3, sunny skies escorted us through New Mexico and into Arizona, where we spent that night in Benson. After a leisurely breakfast at a nearby Denny’s, we headed west through Tuscon and then on up to and through the sprawling city of Phoenix. We were checking in at the office of the Sunflower RV Resort at high noon on New Year’s Eve!
I am not the best rider....I will admit to being nervous. Dad was Ron’s co-pilot and Ron appreciated the fact that I rode in the back seat with Mom and crocheted or read most of the trip. That worked so well, that Ron suggested I might try riding in the back seat on other trips....even if it IS just the two of us!
We got our rig parked and got somewhat familiar with the facilities here. We perused the newsletter learning that there are many and varied hobby rooms, clubs and activities here as well as plenty of opportunity for physical activity ranging from exercise classes and weight rooms, to tennis courts, hiking or biking groups, swimming, and many other activities.
There are approximately 1135 spaces in this park, most with two persons in each. They told us at the office that they expect the park to be at full capacity before the end of January! So we expect to mingle with quite a few new faces! Hopefully we will even make some new friends.
I had hoped to add to my blog along the way, but wonder of wonders, I FORGOT my wireless card! Most of the campgrounds we visited had wi-fi, and there I was....holding nothing but a laptop and a phone cord. Poor me. After a anguished phone call home, my son ran to our house and got it for me...it is coming express mail and I will be posting more regularly very soon.
Until then...thanks for the emails and for the comments on my blog!
Comments
Heather
I'm sitting here waiting for the girls to get moving. Sammie is still in the bed (naked I think) watching TV. I will take a picture of their haircuts after everyone has been fed and spit shined. Have a great time on your adventure. I have really enjoyed reading your posts as well as the comments.
Ethel