Making old look new and new look old!

....or making old and ugly look pretty good!!!

I love reading people's blog and I have found a few that I read very regularly.  They are written by very creative women that decorate their homes beautifully (and what beautiful homes they have!!!).  The set beautiful tables, and some of them love to repurpose things or at least make old things look better. 

I've heard a lot about "chalk paint".  No, not chalkBOARD paint, although people are painting that on walls, cabinets, closet doors, trays....it's quite the rave too.  But near as I can figure, chalk paint is a flat paint that has plaster of paris in it.  It adheres well to ANYTHING and has a very chalky flat finish.  It is excellent to use on old furniture without having to strip off a previous finish.  But, it is apparently PRICEY! 

One blogger www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com,  found a Valspar super flat paint at Lowes that she has had good success with. For instance:


 In following her blog, I have been amazed at how she has taken "butt ugly" pieces of furniture and turned them into works of art!  I have been inspired and have been buying a few ugly pieces myself in hopes of a future transformation.
I bought this table for $7 at our local GoodWill store.  It is solid oak and the construction is sound.  The finish is terrible and what in the WORLD is that hangy-downy thing???  But the drawer works and Ron will take off the hanging shelf.  I can see this table fixed up similar to how I fixed up the auction table I did, below.

The table above was purchased several years ago at an auction.  The veneer on the top was shot.  I covered it with a cloth and used it for years.  It was stained dark.  I had Ron build me a new top and I painted it red, then black over the top, then sanded so you could see the red peeping through.  I'm only learning and made the mistake of priming this white first.  So when I sanded the edges to age the piece with the goal of the red showing through, the white is showing through in places.  Oh well...I said I was learning!

My criteria for buying a piece of furniture is that it has to be very cheap and so ugly that Ron says LOUDLY and in front of the people I am buying from   "What do you want that thing for?  How you gonna fix THAT?  That isn't any good!  It's a piece of junk!!!"  The first time he said this at a garage sale, I was embarrassed.  Then it dawned on me that it might actually drive the price of the item down some!!!  What do you think????

Seeya later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List!

Cold Sunday afternoon

Friday