Progress and 600 Thread Count Sheets!

You know what they say....."One step forward and two steps back!"  Actually....I think I have finally reached the "two steps forward and one step back" stage.

I had a good week and made progress.  I had one sleepless night that caused me to be so tired that the following 3 nights I was in bed by 8 or 8:30 and caught up on my sleep! 

Following the example of Traci at The Traci Chronicles I purchased a chronological version of the Bible for my Nook.  It has been divided up and dated so that you can read the entire Bible through in a year by reading the specific reading for each day.  I have never read the Bible in chronological order before, but I think I am going to like it.  Anyway.....I got started about a week and a half into January, so I read a couple readings a day until I caught up.  I got caught up on that this week!

I finished another book The pilot's wife: a novel [Book] and enjoyed it very VERY much.  This book was a selection from the Oprah Book Club at one time.  I have read a couple of Oprah's picks....and they aren't always my favorites, but this one was good.  I recommend it!   At our book club (which is NOT A Book Club) get-together on Thursday, I told the others how much I enjoyed it.

Today, I actually got my wireless printer working!  I bought it last summer when I had to replace my laptop....and in all this time I never had it working wirelessly.  The set-up process would go only so far and then stop.  So...I finally took the time to READ through the trouble-shooting process, and other advice I found on the internet, and followed all the steps!  Voila!  I'm in business!

We also finally have taken the steps  to begin the remodeling of our last little bedroom in the house.  It is supposed to be the master bedroom and has a small bathroom in it.  At some point, previous owners moved a wall making the bathroom even smaller and putting the vanity in the bedroom space.  They repositioned some closets and now the bedroom portion could accommodate a queen bed and 2 night stands AND NOTHING ELSE....no wall space for a dresser, chest of drawers..NOTHING!  We have lived here for 5 years and I have just used the bedroom space for office and storage, but it is not really practical for that use.  Since the walk-in shower is old, it is probably time to re-tile it.  It is like a tile closet with a glass door, and whereas it is not TINY, it is dark.  We have decided to open up the shower and replace the wall and swinging glass door with a sliding glass front.  We found a tiler that was well recommended and he sent us to pick out tiles.  He has done his measurements and is working up our estimate now.  So....I will get some before pictures for you and then share the process.  We are starting the bedroom remodel by doing the BATHROOM first!  haha.


Today, I dug out the sewing machine.  Ron had a worn spot on his favorite (OLD) jacket and I put an iron on patch, but the edges of the patch kept curling up so I just zig-zagged around the patch and sent him off the the hunting camp happy!  While I had the sewing machine out, I tackled ANOTHER problem.  I LOVE Chris Madden sheets from Penneys....especially the wrinkle-free.  But they are pricey, so when I buy them I wait for sale.  Recently found it was time to replace the sheets on our bed but no sale on Chris Madden sheets!  Ron and I were in town and stopped at Tuesday Morning looking for something when we spied these:


They weren't cheap, but they were less expensive than the Chris Madden sheets at Penneys.  They were the right color and they felt wonderful.  Can't go wrong with 600 thread count, right?  So I bought them and took them out of the package as soon as we got home and threw them into the washer.  When they were dried, I got a BIT concerned when I noticed that the wide band/hem on the flat sheet needed some extra smoothing when I put them on the bed.  I think they were stitched a bit off grain.  I love a smooth pillowcase and so I frequently iron my pillowcases.  These pillowcases were SO TWISTED that I could not even iron them!!!!  After pulling and smoothing and TRYING, I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to open up the seams and restitch them.  When I DID get them completely opened up, this is what I found:

For those of you with little sewing savvy, those two edges on the right should be cut straight and at a right angle to the fold at the bottom of the picture.  Those of you who DO sew will realize that those two edges on the right, stitched together, would have caused the entire pillowcase to be twisted!  After trimming, and re-sewing, and then pressing them (which took all afternoon) I finally have two nice pillowcases on the bed!  Needless to say, I will not be buying sheets at Tuesday Morning again!

Also while I have the sewing machine out, I may think about that "service project" I mentioned in my last post.

Actually....last Saturday, a couple of friends and I went to a nearby town where some ladies were meeting at a church to sew "cancer hats". This was something I was interested in because when Ron first retired and we spent a couple of months in Arizona, the ladies of the sewing club at the Sunflower Resort where we stayed were making them. They were bandana-style made of cotton and cotton blends and I brought home a pattern. The ladies we visited last week were making turban-style hats out of light-weight knit.....stretchy fabric. They had a whole assembly line worked out.








I should have taken a picture of a finished hat!  Sorry.  Anyway....my friends and I were discussing the fact that OUR extra fabric is the cotton and cotton blend, so maybe we will make some of the type I had seen in Arizona.  The local ladies said the demand for these hats is high...which is sad because it indicates that a lot of people need them.   Anyway....this is something I am giving a great deal of thought to.  We'll see where this goes!

Guess I have rambled on long enough. 
Seeya later!

Comments

Colleen said…
The hat assembly line is a wonderful idea for a good cause, a bunch of us did that same kind of thing with ’nifty’ knitted hats when I was working. Cross-cut … It’s the same way when I buy material; they can’t seem to cut it straight, it’s always off at one end by an inch or two, so frustrating.

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List!

Cold Sunday afternoon

Friday