I'm NOT freezing!
Did you read my last post?? (Yes...I am sure that most of you have given up on me since I rarely post anymore. I posted in February....and then again at the end of July. So here I am already almost 2 weeks since THAT post. It's no wonder you don't visit my blog anymore so that first question was probably a dumb one!)
Anyway....if you read my last post you would know 2 things about my life. 1) We have been VERY busy. 2) At my house IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!
So....why am I NOT freezing? I guess one reason is that it is so HOT in Louisiana, but actually the weather is changing a bit. It is actually NOT almost 90 degrees before daybreak lately. One morning it was actually only 75 OUTSIDE when I woke up but that was rare! BUT....that's NOT what I am talking about! I went back and re-read my last post, so I know I did not tell you that the ice-maker on my side-by-side Kitchen Aid refrig/freezer stopped working. "IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!"
We have been buying ice and putting it in the bin. Jake is determined that he can replace the part....WHEN he determines what part it is that needs replacing. I have faith in him and know that eventually he will get it operating again, and at a savings to us. Yay for Jake! But since we were having someone come put down new floors in the kitchen, I decided to pare down the contents of the freezer compartment. I cleaned a bunch out and put some in our alread-mostly-full upright freezer. I also FILLED the freezer compartment in the camper.
Now you may think that my "I am not freezing" comment is referring to our ice machine. Nope!
Yesterday we went to get a frozen pizza out of the upright only to discover a BUNCH of defrosting food! Not TOTALLY defrosted, but getting there....especially the top shelf. Ron had been the one to get the pizza so I asked if the door had maybe not been shut tightly. (That happened once before). We went back and made certain that it was closing properly and put a wall thermometer in it. After an hour I checked again and it was not warmer, but not colder either. (Don't know how accurate the thermometer is in these circumstances so I won't be quoting temperatures here). Closed it up, went to bed and hoped for the best by morning. I checked at 6 and the results were the same. No warmer...no colder. The top shelf of my freezer is full of things like pecans, bread...some tomatoes and blueberries. Everything was still cold and even frosty, but not FROZEN SOLID like it should have been.
For the last 2 hours this morning I have become closely involved with these 3 critters:
As you can see, the upright is in our outside storage room. And I had taken the grill off the bottom to see if the coils were dirty or something. (There aren't any coils down there!) I have emptied the top shelf of the upright and have been stuffing stuff in the other freezers. I have a call in to a good friend hunting for freezer space should it become necessary because the bottom two shelves are CRAMMED full of deer meat....which is still frozen, but if this thing doesn't start working again I will be shopping for a new freezer TODAY! This one is only 5 years old. Bought it on January 27, 2007, to be exact, so technically it is 5 years and just under 7 months old!!! I have had chest freezers in the past that lived in our carport at the other house. The condensation on the outside would cause them to eventually get rusty so I had 2 over 16 years there that were badly rusted on the outside but still worked well. I think one is still working at the hunting camp and we GAVE the other to a lady who came to our garage sale just before we moved here. It may still be working too....so what's up with this? It's a GE.
While I am running around with baskets of partially defrosted freezer contents, where is my hubby? He is FISHING! Oh my.
You may notice that in the picture of my side-by-side (taken today) there is FLOORING down. We did have a crew come and they did the job in 1 day. We are now slowly getting the baseboards and shoe molding back down...then I will caulk and paint.
I told a friend from our retirement club yesterday at Coffee Call that we are ALMOST back to where we were at the end of June. I guess it could be worse!
And just because I have posted twice in 2 weeks doesn't mean I am promising consistant blogging. But do check back soon. I might surprise you!
See ya later!
Anyway....if you read my last post you would know 2 things about my life. 1) We have been VERY busy. 2) At my house IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!
So....why am I NOT freezing? I guess one reason is that it is so HOT in Louisiana, but actually the weather is changing a bit. It is actually NOT almost 90 degrees before daybreak lately. One morning it was actually only 75 OUTSIDE when I woke up but that was rare! BUT....that's NOT what I am talking about! I went back and re-read my last post, so I know I did not tell you that the ice-maker on my side-by-side Kitchen Aid refrig/freezer stopped working. "IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!"
We have been buying ice and putting it in the bin. Jake is determined that he can replace the part....WHEN he determines what part it is that needs replacing. I have faith in him and know that eventually he will get it operating again, and at a savings to us. Yay for Jake! But since we were having someone come put down new floors in the kitchen, I decided to pare down the contents of the freezer compartment. I cleaned a bunch out and put some in our alread-mostly-full upright freezer. I also FILLED the freezer compartment in the camper.
Now you may think that my "I am not freezing" comment is referring to our ice machine. Nope!
Yesterday we went to get a frozen pizza out of the upright only to discover a BUNCH of defrosting food! Not TOTALLY defrosted, but getting there....especially the top shelf. Ron had been the one to get the pizza so I asked if the door had maybe not been shut tightly. (That happened once before). We went back and made certain that it was closing properly and put a wall thermometer in it. After an hour I checked again and it was not warmer, but not colder either. (Don't know how accurate the thermometer is in these circumstances so I won't be quoting temperatures here). Closed it up, went to bed and hoped for the best by morning. I checked at 6 and the results were the same. No warmer...no colder. The top shelf of my freezer is full of things like pecans, bread...some tomatoes and blueberries. Everything was still cold and even frosty, but not FROZEN SOLID like it should have been.
For the last 2 hours this morning I have become closely involved with these 3 critters:
As you can see, the upright is in our outside storage room. And I had taken the grill off the bottom to see if the coils were dirty or something. (There aren't any coils down there!) I have emptied the top shelf of the upright and have been stuffing stuff in the other freezers. I have a call in to a good friend hunting for freezer space should it become necessary because the bottom two shelves are CRAMMED full of deer meat....which is still frozen, but if this thing doesn't start working again I will be shopping for a new freezer TODAY! This one is only 5 years old. Bought it on January 27, 2007, to be exact, so technically it is 5 years and just under 7 months old!!! I have had chest freezers in the past that lived in our carport at the other house. The condensation on the outside would cause them to eventually get rusty so I had 2 over 16 years there that were badly rusted on the outside but still worked well. I think one is still working at the hunting camp and we GAVE the other to a lady who came to our garage sale just before we moved here. It may still be working too....so what's up with this? It's a GE.
While I am running around with baskets of partially defrosted freezer contents, where is my hubby? He is FISHING! Oh my.
You may notice that in the picture of my side-by-side (taken today) there is FLOORING down. We did have a crew come and they did the job in 1 day. We are now slowly getting the baseboards and shoe molding back down...then I will caulk and paint.
I told a friend from our retirement club yesterday at Coffee Call that we are ALMOST back to where we were at the end of June. I guess it could be worse!
And just because I have posted twice in 2 weeks doesn't mean I am promising consistant blogging. But do check back soon. I might surprise you!
See ya later!



Comments