I'm tired!
Since my last post, we have worked almost all day every day on the floors! We are almost done and stopped at noon today to run pick up Emmie....who gets dropped at daycare quite early and has decided that she wants to stay for Vacation Bible School (her daycare is at a Baptist church) which is from 6 to 8:30. What a long LONG day for a four-year-old! So we decided to pick her up after lunch and bring her over here to rest and maybe even swim a bit this afternoon before taking her back to VBS.
We have the transition pieces to put down in 2 bedroom doorways and a bathroom doorway....and we have to put the flooring down in the pantry, but other than that we are DONE. Woo-hoo! We will put up all the tools by this weekend and when Ron returns from Michigan he can put down the baseboards in the dining room/kitchen. We purposely left them off in preparation for floors.
On our way to get Emmie today we were discussing the difficulty level of the floors. Ron had really "feared" doing the job. Turns out it was actually quite easy....truly the hardest part was figuring out how to cut certain pieces that went around corners, etc. Ron said that he probably would have struggled a lot with that part of it, but I have the ability to "visualize" something, so I was doing the measuring and "designing" of the special cuts, and he was doing the cutting. We must have been really getting tired by today as I made THREE mistakes which resulted in cutting into new boards each time. I guess that will just help keep me humble!
I did get a little nervous about the quality of this floor. On a couple of occasions Ron "damaged" an edge or end of a board when he had to "whack" it into place. It seemed to damage a bit too easily in my mind and last night I was feeling a bit concerned about our choice. This morning I took a scrap and tried to scratch it with a knife. That didn't really damage it. I will admit that I did do a bit of damage when I hammered it once or twice with the meat tenderizer! After that I sat a soggy dishrag on it for the morning....no problem there at all. And....for the past hour I have had the entire scrap piece (about 4 inches by 6 inches) soaking in a bowl of water. I just checked it and it shows NO visible signs of damage. I feel a whole lot better now!
But let me back up. We have been really busy since my last post. I had painted the guest room and decided that I would like the window to have a "cased" look. Ron had done this for me at our last house on my dining room windows, so this was simple and he got it done in a flash. I will have to post an after picture but I guess I need to TAKE one first. LOL. Anyway....I have hung the faux wood blinds in there now. I think it looks nice. Here is Ron working on the framing of the window.

And here are the floors in the guest room.

After that, he got right to work on the "closet" at the dead end of our hallway. 
He is framing up for a bifold door. That end of the hallway was very dark so I tapped into an outlet and wired a switch and light for in there!

We realized that we needed to finish our 6 foot fence in the back so that the pool would be "secure" while we are gone. So....Ron has been working on that in his "spare" time. LOL. I am sure glad he is retired!

Ron is wanting to go fishing tomorrow so we will finish the pantry floor on Saturday. On Sunday our church VBS begins in the evening and runs through Wednesday. Ashlyn and I plan to help in the kitchen. Samantha will attend along with some of her best playmates, her neighbors. Emmie is enjoying HER VBS so much that she might wish to come to ours!
I am really glad to have the floors nearly done. (Have I mentioned that??? Ha!) Since VBS is only in the evening and only Sun-Wed, I will have plenty of time to plan and pack for our trip north. I cannot believe that we will be leaving a week from Monday! The end of next week will be hectic as we have several things going on....but most of them are fun things. We have our Big R (the retirement group) luncheon, and a 50th wedding anniversary celebration to attend on Friday and Saturday. Ron has an appointment to get another cortozone shot in his shoulder so hopefully the shot (and the lack of physical WORK for a couple of weeks) will give him some relief. We both will have haircuts, and hopefully spend some time with the grandkids. I am not returning until August so I will really miss them
Uh-Oh....Emmie must have gotten hold of my camera!

I will end with this final picture. On another blog that I read occasionally, the blogger had a contest where her readers suggested a caption for a photo she had. She actually awarded a prize to the best suggestion. I don't have a prize to offer.....but let's see who can come up with the most creative caption for THIS photo!
We have the transition pieces to put down in 2 bedroom doorways and a bathroom doorway....and we have to put the flooring down in the pantry, but other than that we are DONE. Woo-hoo! We will put up all the tools by this weekend and when Ron returns from Michigan he can put down the baseboards in the dining room/kitchen. We purposely left them off in preparation for floors.
On our way to get Emmie today we were discussing the difficulty level of the floors. Ron had really "feared" doing the job. Turns out it was actually quite easy....truly the hardest part was figuring out how to cut certain pieces that went around corners, etc. Ron said that he probably would have struggled a lot with that part of it, but I have the ability to "visualize" something, so I was doing the measuring and "designing" of the special cuts, and he was doing the cutting. We must have been really getting tired by today as I made THREE mistakes which resulted in cutting into new boards each time. I guess that will just help keep me humble!
I did get a little nervous about the quality of this floor. On a couple of occasions Ron "damaged" an edge or end of a board when he had to "whack" it into place. It seemed to damage a bit too easily in my mind and last night I was feeling a bit concerned about our choice. This morning I took a scrap and tried to scratch it with a knife. That didn't really damage it. I will admit that I did do a bit of damage when I hammered it once or twice with the meat tenderizer! After that I sat a soggy dishrag on it for the morning....no problem there at all. And....for the past hour I have had the entire scrap piece (about 4 inches by 6 inches) soaking in a bowl of water. I just checked it and it shows NO visible signs of damage. I feel a whole lot better now!
But let me back up. We have been really busy since my last post. I had painted the guest room and decided that I would like the window to have a "cased" look. Ron had done this for me at our last house on my dining room windows, so this was simple and he got it done in a flash. I will have to post an after picture but I guess I need to TAKE one first. LOL. Anyway....I have hung the faux wood blinds in there now. I think it looks nice. Here is Ron working on the framing of the window.

And here are the floors in the guest room.

After that, he got right to work on the "closet" at the dead end of our hallway.

He is framing up for a bifold door. That end of the hallway was very dark so I tapped into an outlet and wired a switch and light for in there!

We realized that we needed to finish our 6 foot fence in the back so that the pool would be "secure" while we are gone. So....Ron has been working on that in his "spare" time. LOL. I am sure glad he is retired!

The view from the back of the yard (from Ron's workshop) looking back at the rear of our house: I LOVE having a clothesline and, as you can see, use it often.

Last Saturday, I ran up to the church and helped decorate and prepare for our upcoming VBS. It has a "space" theme, so it was suggested that we create planets for decor, by paper mache' over beach balls. Can you tell I was making Earth? They gave me colored tissue paper to create the color and it bled onto my hands!

Oh....and someone had suspended these "planets" from a string tied to the PLUG, so the weight of the wet paper mache' pulled the plug open and my Earth started to deflate! Along came someone who was willing to help reinflate our deflated planet. (Don't you wish it was that easy to fix some of the problems in this world??)


Last Saturday, I ran up to the church and helped decorate and prepare for our upcoming VBS. It has a "space" theme, so it was suggested that we create planets for decor, by paper mache' over beach balls. Can you tell I was making Earth? They gave me colored tissue paper to create the color and it bled onto my hands!

Oh....and someone had suspended these "planets" from a string tied to the PLUG, so the weight of the wet paper mache' pulled the plug open and my Earth started to deflate! Along came someone who was willing to help reinflate our deflated planet. (Don't you wish it was that easy to fix some of the problems in this world??)

Also on Saturday, we ran to the grocery store across the street, where a friend of Christie's had announced on Facebook she would be with her son. They were selling sausage po-boys, chips and drinks to raise money for the Zachary All Stars 11yr olds. (One is her son) So this was our lunch!


I will have to take pictures of the flooring in the hallway, dining room and kitchen and get them up here for you! We had quite a time pulling the dishwasher and moving the refrig....so afraid of damaging the floors. But...as I said earlier...we are almost done now! Hooray!
Ron is wanting to go fishing tomorrow so we will finish the pantry floor on Saturday. On Sunday our church VBS begins in the evening and runs through Wednesday. Ashlyn and I plan to help in the kitchen. Samantha will attend along with some of her best playmates, her neighbors. Emmie is enjoying HER VBS so much that she might wish to come to ours!
I am really glad to have the floors nearly done. (Have I mentioned that??? Ha!) Since VBS is only in the evening and only Sun-Wed, I will have plenty of time to plan and pack for our trip north. I cannot believe that we will be leaving a week from Monday! The end of next week will be hectic as we have several things going on....but most of them are fun things. We have our Big R (the retirement group) luncheon, and a 50th wedding anniversary celebration to attend on Friday and Saturday. Ron has an appointment to get another cortozone shot in his shoulder so hopefully the shot (and the lack of physical WORK for a couple of weeks) will give him some relief. We both will have haircuts, and hopefully spend some time with the grandkids. I am not returning until August so I will really miss them
Uh-Oh....Emmie must have gotten hold of my camera!

Silly girl!
I will end with this final picture. On another blog that I read occasionally, the blogger had a contest where her readers suggested a caption for a photo she had. She actually awarded a prize to the best suggestion. I don't have a prize to offer.....but let's see who can come up with the most creative caption for THIS photo!




Comments