Fall leaves, family times and lighthouses


Don't you love this photo? I miss birch trees!

As I told you in my last post, we recently returned from a vacation "Up North". If you lived in Michigan you know that "Up North" means the U.P. or Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Even though I was in Michigan this past summer for a bit over 5 weeks, Ron had wanted to take a fall trip this year and I love the southern shores of Lake Superior. We headed out of Baton Rouge on September 21, and picked up Mom and Dad in Traverse City continuing north. I will admit that the farther north we got, the colder the temps became. It was frequently rainy and constantly colder than Ron and I prefer, but we survived! The following pictures are in no particular order, but I will try to give an explanation as we look at them together...

On of my parents' favorite campgrounds is on the Saint Mary's River in Sault Saint Marie, Michigan (Sault is pronounced "Soo" for you NON-Michiganders) This campground is about a mile downriver from the locks which lower the big freighters 21 feet from the elevation of Lake Superior to the elevation of Lake Huron after they travel down the river. You get to be up close and personal with the many freighters as they travel by your campsite. This is the Herbert C. Jackson and is a mere 590 feet long. We saw a number of "thousand footers". I wonder what Dad was thinking as he was sitting there. If I know my dad it was probably something along the lines of "It's going to be a long cold winter." (family joke!)


Hi Mom! I had just climbed up the lighthouse tower here at Point Iriquois. When I came down Mom decided SHE would go up....and up she did go! I think Dad actually went up a few minutes later. Remember how windy it was that day, Mom?

Another view of Point Iriquois.




This is the Crisp Point Light. It is off the beaten path. WAY off. To visit this light we traveled about 50 miles on gravel and dirt roads. It was worth the drive.

No visit to the area would complete visiting Whitefish Point. One of the Coast Guard Buildings here now houses the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. This museum is dedicated to shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. The Shipwreck Museum contains the Bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald and there is a monument on the beach that you can visit.

Another famous landmark in the U.P is Tahquamenon Falls.



We DID see some color. This is actually in the lower peninsula near Alpena.

While in this area, we visited the Presque Isle Light. Those "in the know" pronounce it "presk eel".



My brother has a cottage on Hubbard Lake. We enjoyed a happy weekend there with him before returning to Traverse City.





Precious moments.

Then, back in T.C. we celebrated Dad's 84th birthday.


The next morning we started home where now, after a bit over a week, the vacation is over and life is getting busy again.

I'll end with another famous Michigan landmark.....

"The Mighty Mac"






Comments

Traci B said…
Hey Mrs. Carolyn, I've been reading your blog for awhile. I love seeing all the stuff you do to your house. It's time for some pics of the finished kitchen! The pictures from your trip are so neat. The scenery is beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List!

Cold Sunday afternoon

Friday