The season is changing....even in Louisiana we are experiencing a bit cooler temps. Fortunately this weekend we have even gotten some badly needed rain. The children have all returned to school. All of these changes get me into the autumn mood and I did a fall planting in my small front flower bed. Croton, mums and zinnias. It's colorful on the sunny side of my house!

Inside it was time to face the tile backsplash. I had decided to try something a bit more complicated than just square tiles applied in the standard way. I chose to do a center horizontal row on the diagonal, creating an interesting band of pattern. But this meant that there would be a lot of tile cutting. For that I was fortunate to borrow a monster of a tile saw from my son-in-law's family. I started my job in a not-so-obvious corner next to the refrig.



So far, so good!

In this little 4 foot of space, the diagonal pattern was quite easily accomplished. I chose next to do the longest wall behind the stove. After 2 days of tiling and trimming and fitting and spacing, I sat down to admire my job and discovered a line as crooked as an old split rail fence.
The picture doesn't really reveal how crooked that line is, but it was eye level. You look straight down that line from one of the seats at my island. I knew I could not live with it. So....after 2 days of hard work....I started pulling it down!!!!



Only the top row, and part of the diagonal row had to be removed. However, significant damage was done to the wall board. So...here is the result of a very long day....with the wall freshly repaired.

The following day I REinstalled the tiles and then worked my way around to the sink wall. In the above picture you can see the one remaining space for a tile to the left of the picture. It was a complicated cut but son-in-law George had given me some good instruction and the next day I DID get it done. Also notice peeks of the cabinet toppers, crown molding and trim. Ron has done an AWESOME job on creating just what I envisioned. I still have a couple of cabinet doors to paint so Ron can get them up.
Above is the island...with the new granite. Still need to get the final coat of paint on that. Notice our half concrete, half peel and stick tile floor! My plan for this coming week is to get the tile grouted, finish ALL of the painting and get the hardware on the cabinets. This will leave only the ceiling and the flooring to complete when we return from our "fall color tour" to northern Michigan!
Emmie and her Grandpa were the first to enjoy lunch on the new island!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List!

Cold Sunday afternoon

Friday