It's always SOMETHING!

It seems like lately I have always felt the urge to begin my blog post with an apology! Time just flies by (when you're having this much fun????)


We returned home at the beginning of the month and I immediately began helping at Ashlyn's school as they were one week from school starting. I have now settled down to one half day per week helping Ashlyn's teacher with photo-copying....and occasional help in the library, as requested. (The book fair begins Friday!)


Ron began a small remodel project in the carport...taking down some dark privacy fencing at the head of the carport and replacing it with some lovely lattice. Then he built a new gate which we are in the process of painting now. This project is in preparation for a "bump-out" Ron is building into the carport from our kitchen area. This will be adjoining or covering part of the area where the old fencing was, hence the need to do this first. The "bump-out" will be a 4' by 8' pantry off my kitchen. Once finished, I will have a place for much of my cabinet contents in preparation for gutting the kitchen!
Gate laying on sawhorse in foreground will go in opening to the right of the lattice in the background.


I took off last week and went to visit Aunt Ada Pierce in Pensacola, FL. I spent a long weekend with her, and was able to spend time with my cousin, Laura, and her entire family as well as my cousin John's daughter, Debra, and her 2 little ones. I was gone Friday through Tuesday and then headed right back to the school on Wednesday. Thursday we knew that predictions for Hurricane Gustav were to hit most probably along the coast of Louisiana somewhere around Labor Day....so we cancelled our camping plans for the weekend.


Those predictions threw us (and millions of others) into full-throttle preparations for the storm. Any of you who have lived along the coastal areas know what I am talking about....and since Katrina and Rita were the last storms to hit Louisiana (Katrina hit 3 years ago yesterday), noone in Louisiana is laughing at the threat. People are evacuating New Orleans now and this is the first time in history that the ENTIRE coastline areas of Lousiana is being evacuated.


There you have it. I will keep you posted, but feel free to say a prayer. We are not fearful to stay here as we are far enough inland. Our major problem is usually extended power outages and we are prepared to deal with that. This is our first storm in this house and we now have a metal workshop and a metal RV cover. These aren't famous for withstanding strong sustained winds....and insurance in south Louisiana has started to exclude "hurricane damages!" (One could only hope that since flood damage and wind damage is arguable, if your house is going down in a hurricane, it would be by FIRE! ha!)

Until next time....Happy Trails!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List!

Cold Sunday afternoon

Friday