Memorial Day Weekend
A quiet weekend at our house!!! First of all, I developed a stomach bug on Thursday afternoon and haven't felt all that well for the last day or so. But as I thought about it today, I came to the realization that Ron and I have spent so many holidays with him at work and me at home alone, we have forgotten that holidays are time for family, friends, food and fun!!!
We made no plans and got no invitations, so we have spent the day as we spend any other Sunday.
We went to church.
We went to Walmart.
We went to Home Depot.
We came home and fixed our lunch.
Ron watched LSU in the SEC baseball tournement on tv. (They won...the 20th game in a row!!!)
I balanced our checkbook and then sat on our bed watching HGTV and hemmed some slacks.
But to be honest, my tummy doesn't feel too much like a lot of food yet. We made a Green Apple Slaw that we found the recipe for in our local paper a couple of weeks ago and I had some this evening. During church this morning I didn't really feel tip-top yet...but as the day wore on, I have pretty much returned to normal, I think.
I must apologize for not posting more often. It can be tedious to keep up with...and I always feel like our daily life is boring! The most recent "events" at our house included replacing our heating/air conditioning system. We first discovered a small brown spot on the ceiling of our hall bathroom.
Upon investigation, Ron and I discovered that the a/c unit in the attic was "dripping" water when the unit was running. When we consulted our a/c man, he gave us some options...the most expensive being the replacement of the entire system (except for duct work) inside and out. He explained that it wasn't necessary to go to that extreme except some of the equipment we had was old, and some of it was a lesser quality that would give us a few more years before we would have to replace it anyway. That was one week and more than a few thousand dollars ago!!! The only saving grace is that the system we put in should last 30 years. Our heating and air man is a friend, but we hope to not see him in a business capacity ever again!!! Ha!

School is out for the two oldest granddaughters now. Last Thursday was their final day. Ashlyn will be attending a new school across town this fall. This will be the first time she has ever attended school without her mother working on the same campus! It will also be her first bus ride to school....Mom is employed at Samantha's school a block from their home. Ashlyn being our more "nervous" granddaughter, I have made plans to be in the area on August 11 when school starts again. In fact, for the last 2 weeks of school, I went to her NEW school and volunteered to help the school librarian with her end-of-year inventory. It gave me the opportunity to get acquainted with the school and some of the faculty. On Friday I actually took Ashlyn over and showed her around. I think she is going to be fine! Of course having me helping around campus for the first couple of weeks will give her a little security!
After we moved into this house we started our remodeling with the easy things. I painted walls and moldings. We hired someone to replace a sliding glass door on the back with a french patio door, and to put in a new front door. We replaced all the bedroom and bathroom doors with raised panel masonite doors. Eventually we started replacing the rolling closet doors with bi-fold panel doors. This has been complicated by the fact that all of the openings needed a bit of modification before we could put in the new doors. In some cases the "stock" doors needed trimming. The last bedroom closet (out of 5 closets) is our current project.
This closet opening needs to be made smaller. As we have discussed the best way to go about this, it occured to me that this would be the perfect time to move the closet. This closet backs up to our living room. In the living room, there is a closet right in the center of the wall....a very awkward placement in a small room. I have wanted it moved over next to the front door. (In other words, swap locations of the two closets, which are side by side but opening into different rooms.)

I haven't started taping or floating it yet...so framing up the opening to the existing closet and putting sheet rock on it would enable me to do all of the living room work at one time! Sounds logically to me, eh??? Of course Ron sees it as more work and suggested that we do it later, finishing the bedroom closet where it is for now and put off the other for now. My argument is "Why do something, and then have to re-do it later???"

I think I have him talked into it! We'll keep you posted. Of course all of this extra stuff means that our kitchen just keeps being put off! Oh my! My mom says I need to hurry and do the kitchen before something else goes wrong and we use up all the money we have set aside for it!
Of course amongst all of the other stuff, we continue to spend time with all of the grandkids. Samantha and I recently both got new haircuts.
We made no plans and got no invitations, so we have spent the day as we spend any other Sunday.
We went to church.
We went to Walmart.
We went to Home Depot.
We came home and fixed our lunch.
Ron watched LSU in the SEC baseball tournement on tv. (They won...the 20th game in a row!!!)
I balanced our checkbook and then sat on our bed watching HGTV and hemmed some slacks.
But to be honest, my tummy doesn't feel too much like a lot of food yet. We made a Green Apple Slaw that we found the recipe for in our local paper a couple of weeks ago and I had some this evening. During church this morning I didn't really feel tip-top yet...but as the day wore on, I have pretty much returned to normal, I think.
I must apologize for not posting more often. It can be tedious to keep up with...and I always feel like our daily life is boring! The most recent "events" at our house included replacing our heating/air conditioning system. We first discovered a small brown spot on the ceiling of our hall bathroom.

As the weather warmed up this spring and we started to run our a/c, the spot multiplied!
Upon investigation, Ron and I discovered that the a/c unit in the attic was "dripping" water when the unit was running. When we consulted our a/c man, he gave us some options...the most expensive being the replacement of the entire system (except for duct work) inside and out. He explained that it wasn't necessary to go to that extreme except some of the equipment we had was old, and some of it was a lesser quality that would give us a few more years before we would have to replace it anyway. That was one week and more than a few thousand dollars ago!!! The only saving grace is that the system we put in should last 30 years. Our heating and air man is a friend, but we hope to not see him in a business capacity ever again!!! Ha!
School is out for the two oldest granddaughters now. Last Thursday was their final day. Ashlyn will be attending a new school across town this fall. This will be the first time she has ever attended school without her mother working on the same campus! It will also be her first bus ride to school....Mom is employed at Samantha's school a block from their home. Ashlyn being our more "nervous" granddaughter, I have made plans to be in the area on August 11 when school starts again. In fact, for the last 2 weeks of school, I went to her NEW school and volunteered to help the school librarian with her end-of-year inventory. It gave me the opportunity to get acquainted with the school and some of the faculty. On Friday I actually took Ashlyn over and showed her around. I think she is going to be fine! Of course having me helping around campus for the first couple of weeks will give her a little security!
After we moved into this house we started our remodeling with the easy things. I painted walls and moldings. We hired someone to replace a sliding glass door on the back with a french patio door, and to put in a new front door. We replaced all the bedroom and bathroom doors with raised panel masonite doors. Eventually we started replacing the rolling closet doors with bi-fold panel doors. This has been complicated by the fact that all of the openings needed a bit of modification before we could put in the new doors. In some cases the "stock" doors needed trimming. The last bedroom closet (out of 5 closets) is our current project.
This closet opening needs to be made smaller. As we have discussed the best way to go about this, it occured to me that this would be the perfect time to move the closet. This closet backs up to our living room. In the living room, there is a closet right in the center of the wall....a very awkward placement in a small room. I have wanted it moved over next to the front door. (In other words, swap locations of the two closets, which are side by side but opening into different rooms.)
We recently got the sheet rock up on the stud wall in the living room.

I haven't started taping or floating it yet...so framing up the opening to the existing closet and putting sheet rock on it would enable me to do all of the living room work at one time! Sounds logically to me, eh??? Of course Ron sees it as more work and suggested that we do it later, finishing the bedroom closet where it is for now and put off the other for now. My argument is "Why do something, and then have to re-do it later???"
I think I have him talked into it! We'll keep you posted. Of course all of this extra stuff means that our kitchen just keeps being put off! Oh my! My mom says I need to hurry and do the kitchen before something else goes wrong and we use up all the money we have set aside for it!
Of course amongst all of the other stuff, we continue to spend time with all of the grandkids. Samantha and I recently both got new haircuts.
Emmaleigh always has fun playing at Grandma's house.
I am having ALL THREE of them stay overnight tomorrow night! I'll have to let you know how that goes!
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO ALL OF YOU!


Comments
I have to agree with your mom; go ahead and do your kitchen before you use up your money. LOL I am speaking from experience. Al and I were by ourselves also on Sunday. You should have called. Gosh, that Emmaleigh is like looking at Jake when he was that age. We are all doing well. Going apartment hunting for Erin this week. She will graduate June 28 and begin July 2. GO TIGERS!!! Talk to you soon. Love, Pam